Amphetamines include prescription stimulants like Adderall, Cylert, Dexedrine and Ritalin and illicit drugs like speed and meth. Professional treatment is the best way to break an amphetamine addiction, and rehab facilities exist around the world that can provide proper care. Traveling for treatment has its benefits. However, there are a few reasons not to travel, including the following:
- Local family counseling during treatment is deemed necessary for the recovery
- The addict must utilize outpatient care to maintain family and work responsibilities
- Special circumstances like a seriously ill loved one who lives locally
Nevertheless, most patients are free to travel for treatment, and in some cases, a new location might prove more effective.
Reasons to Travel for Amphetamine Addiction Treatment
Among the reasons to travel for addiction treatment, the most important involve co-occurring issues and conditions. Such scenarios can include the following:
- Medical – Patient might need to enter rehab near a particular medical center that can monitor and treat a rare condition or disease
- Respiratory Health – People with respiratory problems, particularly those addicted to marijuana or living in big cities, might benefit from a rural facility
- Mental Health – Someone battling a severe mental illness like dissociative identity disorder might prefer a treatment center with DID specialists
- Cost Issues – Treatment for co-occurring conditions can require longer stays, and traveling to an out-of-state facility might have cost benefits
- Domestic Abuse – Victims of domestic abuse might feel more secure and able to focus by receiving care in a facility far from home
There are also inspirational or recreational reasons to travel for treatment, including the following:
- The inspired scenery of a facility in Europe, the Caribbean or other overseas locations
- An adventure therapy program that utilizes outdoor sports and activities to enhance treatment
- Faith-centered facilities that include teachings and practices of a particular faith set
- A nature-based facility for patients whose treatment might benefit from local hikes and treks
- Luxury facilities for affluent patients who desire posh quarters and gourmet meals
Likewise, some amphetamine addicts might want treatment in a facility near their original hometown, especially if there is family nearby. In addition to providing extra support, it can help addicts reconnect with their roots. Ultimately, though, it is about seeking the right facility and location to maximize the treatment, and if the right place requires travel, it is often worth it.
Amphetamine Addiction Treatment
Rehab treatment begins with a medically supervised detox to break the physical dependency. During the detox process, every effort is made to make the patient feel relaxed and reduce any discomfort. From there, rehab treatments include the following:
- Screenings for various mental health issues and mood disorders
- Treatment of co-occurring issues like depression, anxiety and panic attacks
- Application of behavioral therapies that improve the patient’s mental and emotional state
- Identification of all amphetamine-use triggers and develop strategies to resist them
- Group therapy and one-on-one counseling
Following treatment, the rehab center provides aftercare counseling and connects the patient to a local recovery support group.
Amphetamine Abuse Helpline
Are you struggling with amphetamine abuse? Call our toll-free helpline 24 hours a day, and speak with a counselor about warning signs, rehab facilities and addiction care. We can also discuss treatment options away from home and help determine if traveling for treatment makes sense for you. Many health insurance policies cover addiction care, and we can check your policy for benefits. We are here to help, so call now.